|This article is a stub! You can help Tommy and the others by expanding it!|
|Season 1 Episode 7a|
|Original Airdate||September 22, 1991|
|VHS release||Grandpa's Favorite Stories|
|DVD release|| Mysteries|
|Previous Episode||Moose Country|
|Next Episode||Momma Trauma|
Grandpa is supposed to play his trumpet at a Veteran's Picnic, but Spike runs off with his dentures. Tommy and Chuckie set out to get them back in the craziest wild-duck chase in the history of dental rescue.
- Description by Klasky Csupo
The Pickles are at a family picnic, where Grandpa Lou will be playing his trumpet in a veterans' band. Tommy and Chuckie are sitting inside of a small playpen watching Grandpa Lou take out his dentures. The babies are fascinated by the way some people can take their teeth out. Chuckie asks how that is possible, and Tommy tells him that Grandpa is so old that he has probably been pulling on his teeth so long, they have finally come out. Lou puts his teeth near the salad bowl and begins to eat. Spike takes the teeth in his mouth. Tommy uses his screwdriver to escape the playpen with Chuckie and retrieve the dentures.
The adults realize Lou has lost his teeth and begin searching because Lou needs the teeth to play the trumpet properly in the band about to play. Spike takes the teeth to a duck pond where a fast duck steals them. Chuckie attempts to get them back and ends up on the duck's back. Tommy rides Spike after Chuckie. They come to a ranch where a father convinces his nervous son that a horse he is about to ride walks really slow. He is proved wrong when the horse is angered by the duck and begins to gallop rapidly, which the son enjoys after all but the father doesn't as he's pulled along by the saddle.
Tommy and Chuckie are brought back to the picnic where Spike ducks under picnic tables with the babies on top of him, just as the veterans' band begins to perform "The Star Spangled Banner," with Lou hitting a lot of sour notes due to lacking his dentures. Chuckie yells "DUCK!", and Tommy is confused because there are no more picnic tables. Chuckie tells Tommy that he means a different kind of "duck". The ducks attempt to stop the babies, but are frightened by the speed of Spike, and run away. Spike bumps into a table and Grandpa's dentures pop out of his mouth and into the instruments in Grandpa's band. Grandpa catches them and plays his trumpet beautifully just in time for the finish. The conductor compliments Lou for his stirring finish. Tommy then spots an old man take a wig off and is fascinated. Tommy asks Chuckie if he can try something and reaches for Chuckie's hair. Chuckie tells Tommy to forget about it.
- This is the first episode where Chuckie's saturn colors are switch places and his eyes are not beady.
- The snare drumroll played by one of the band members when Lou arrives sounds similar to the one that is heard in the opening theme.
- This episode was remade into a level in the Rugrats: Search for Reptar video game.
- This is the first time we learn Tommy has teeth -- well, one tooth, anyway.
- The ducks that Spike and Tommy and Chuckie run into are actually geese; because in reality; a goose will charge at you if you are too close to the animal.
- Always keep track of your belongings.
- Stay at a safe distance to wildlife.
- In one scene, Lou's teeth are visible as he's talking, even though he's lost them.
- When Tommy and Chuckie are calling out for Spike, the picture of Saturn on Chuckie's shirt changes for a quick moment so that the colors are switched.
- When Spike jumps over the fence, Tommy has a full set of teeth.