|Charles Crandall Norbert Finster, Jr.|
|Also Known As||Chuckie Finster|
Chongo ("Chuckie's in Love")
Finster (by Angelica)
"Scoop" ("Susie Goes Bad Lite")
Chuckaroo (by Tommy)
Little Fella (by Chas)
"The Chucker" ("Uneasy Rider")
Ralph ("Chuckie's New Shirt")
Chubbie (by Dil)
Blaine (by Angelica and Tommy)
|Birth Date||April 15, 1989 (Rugrats 1991)|
April 15, 2019 (Rugrats 2021)
|Age||2 (Rugrats; both original and revived versions)|
11 ("All Growed Up")
12 (All Grown Up!)
Java Lava worker (All Grown Up!)
|Interests||Playing with his friends and his sister Kimi. Spending time with his mother, Kira, and his father, Chas.|
|Relatives||Chas Finster (father)|
Kira Finster (mother)
Kimi Finster (sister)
Shirley Finster (grandmother)
Marvin Finster (grandfather)
Melinda Finster (biological mother; deceased)
|Friends||Tommy Pickles (best friend)|
Lil DeVille (possible love interest)
Kimi Finster (sister)
Angelica Pickles (sometimes)
Nicole Boscarelli (former love interest)
|Enemies||Angelica Pickles (sometimes)|
|Voice Actor||Christine Cavanaugh (1991 - 2002)|
*Original: 2002 - 2008
*Revival: 2021 -
Candi Milo (post 2002 video games)
|First Appearance||"Tommy's First Birthday" (Rugrats) (Season 1) (1991)|
|“||I'm glad we're a family.||”|
Charles Crandall Norbert "Chuckie" Finster, Jr. is the adorable best friend of Tommy Pickles and acts as the series' deuteragonist (in Rugrats in Paris: The Movie, however, he serves as the protagonist). Chuckie's mother Melinda died from an illness when Chuckie was a few months old.
In Rugrats in Paris: The Movie, his father, Chas was going to marry Coco, an evil woman who hates children, and tries to get Chas to fall in love with her, but in the end, Chas fell in love with and married Kira, Kimi's mother. His beautiful new stepmother is loving and caring, just like his father and biological mother. Chuckie also has a puppy named Pepper (also known as Sparky) and a poodle named Fifi. Chuckie was 2 years old in Rugrats, 11 years old in the All Grown Up! pilot episode "All Growed Up" and 12 years old in All Grown Up! series itself.
In every crowd there's a worrywart, and among the Rugrats it's Charles Finster, Jr. Tommy's best friend Chuckie is a likable two-year-old scaredy cat who sees monsters in every closet and worries about a hundred ways things can go wrong. Tommy's adventurous schemes often reduce Chuckie to shivers "M-m- maybe this isn't such a good idea," he'll suggest, as the Rugrats are off to sneak into the dark and dank garage. But since Chuckie also hates being left behind, he trudges along warily. And in the process, he often surprises himself with the courage he summons up. Like his dad, Charles Sr., Chuckie never forgets that every silver lining comes with a cloud attached. - Rugrats Description from Klasky Csupo
Chuckie has changed in many ways since he was a baby. For one thing, he isn't as scared of the world as he once was, and is even willing to take a risk now and then! He now likes girls, and will go to great lengths to get their attention, including dressing up like a foreign exchange student or being nice to Angelica. Chuckie is still best friends with Tommy, and often turns to him for advice. Although Chuckie may not be the scaredy cat he used to be, his wild red hair and glasses haven't changed much at all! - All Grown Up! Description from Klasky Csupo
Chuckie is pessimistic and easily scared, and at the first suggestion that he and the other babies should do something or go somewhere, he will always say, "Maybe this isn't such a good idea". All the same, he's still best friends with Tommy, Phil, and Lil). Among his fears are adventures, cats, losing his glasses, germs, bad things happening to his friends, clowns, and the "guy on the oatmeal box with the scary hat" (a parody of Quaker Oats).
He is loyal and often brave, facing his fears briefly to come through for his friends, whenever there's a problem, Chuckie's there to help his friends get through it emotionally. Chuckie doesn't really like misbehaving, but his friends often get him into trouble by accident. He is very close to his father Chas, and is usually the main target of Angelica's bullying. Chuckie was the only character who did not come from a two-parent household before the remarriage. It is revealed in the episode "The Alien" that Chuckie has an outie belly button, and is revealed to be left-handed in "Chuckie's a Lefty". Things had changed for Chuckie in Rugrats in Paris, when he got a new stepsister named Kimi Finster, and a new stepmother named Kira Finster.
In All Grown Up!, Chuckie is still timid, but he is a bit more of a risk taker and tries hard to avoid being seen as a coward. He has trouble lying to others and still appears to be the voice of reason among his other friends in the television show spin-off as his younger counterpart would be, but has grown as a result of the development that took place between Rugrats and the spin-off television show.
Chuckie has fair skin with freckles, messy orange hair, a pair of purple square glasses with a white tint, a white sleeveless undershirt, a cerulean blue shirt with a Saturn on it, diapers, green shorts with light green wavy lines, yellow-orange socks and partially untied red shoes with white laces. As of "Chuckie vs. The Potty", he wore white dummy bear patterned, light blue, or beige training pants. Afterwards, he wore dark blue or white briefs. As a 1 year old in flashbacks, he was shown with beady eyes and individual strands of orange hair across his head, and wore nothing but a diaper.
As he gets older, He loses his buck teeth and gains braces, and he now wears rectangle-shaped glasses. He usually wears a watch on his right wrist. In "All Growed Up", he wore a light blue button-up shirt with a picture of Saturn on the top right corner, green baggy pants, and red and white sneakers. He wears a similar outfit in the first few episodes of All Grown Up!, but his shirt is green, his pants are orange, and his shoes are purple. He later switches to a brown sweater with a sea green undershirt, purple pants, and green sneakers. He wears this for the rest of season 1. In Season 2 and onwards, he changes his outfits a lot, but his primary outfit consists of a purple t-shirt over a yellow long-sleeved shirt, green pants, and red sneakers.
In the 2021 series, his look is modified with visibility of his eyebrows, bigger wavy lines on his green shorts, and colored freckles. His shoelaces are now completely untied. He is revealed to already be potty trained, mentioned in “Tail of the Dogbot”, and also revealed to be wearing white briefs with purple spots in “The Last Balloon”. The rest is still the same from the original.
Chas Finster - Chas is Chuckie's father. They are very similar as they are both scaredy cats and have allergies. Chuckie has a very close relationship with his father. They both are allergic to dandelions and have red hair and glasses. They are also friendly. Chuckie is named after his father. Chas is very protective of Chuckie after the death of his wife Melinda (Chuckie's mother).
Melinda Finster - Melinda is Chuckie's late biological mother. Chuckie doesn't remember her too well, but he does remember her when he was really young, saying he has dreams about her (though he doesn't know who she is in his dreams, he just thinks it's a nice and pretty lady). Chuckie had seen what she looked like in a photo in "Mother's Day" as Chas told him about her.
Kira Finster - Kira is Chuckie's stepmother; Chuckie didn't like the way Kira did things at first and got upset, especially when she fixed his Wawa because she put sparkly blue eyes and a vest on him (also because Wawa was a gift from his biological mother). However, Kira and Chuckie now get along as she says she'll learn more about the things he does, the way he likes things done, and knows she loves him very much.
Kimi Finster - Kimi is Chuckie's stepsister. Chuckie loves Kimi and tries to protect her when he can, from getting hurt or in danger. In All Grown Up!, Chuckie is still somewhat protective of Kimi, as he tries to protect her from Z, the school's bad boy. Chuckie also got upset when the gang found Tommy and Kimi's initials carved in the wall of the Finster garage in "TP+KF", as he tells Tommy that it wasn't cool to "mack on his best friend's sister." The initials carved into the wall caused Tommy and Chuckie to not only temporarily break off their friendship but for Chuckie to be suspicious of Kimi. However, he does it all because he is her older brother and wants to make sure she is safe.
Tommy Pickles - Tommy is Chuckie's best friend who he met when Tommy was only eight days old. In "A Step at a Time", Chuckie learned that he was the reason that Tommy walked for the first time and that they've been friends ever since then. Despite trying to talk Tommy out of it, Chuckie always goes on the scary adventures that Tommy leads him on. Some of the adventures cause Tommy and Chuckie to argue like in the episodes: "Opposites Attract" and "Farewell, My Friend"; however, they always make up in the end. In the All Grown Up episode "TP+KF", Chuckie got upset with Tommy when he thought that Tommy had a crush on Kimi and was suspicious of the two up until the point they fought and broke off their friendship. However, after Tommy came running to his house scared, and they sat down and talked, Chuckie and Tommy patched things up with each other.
Dil Pickles - Unlike Phil and Lil, Chuckie has never held a grudge against Dil after he was born. He sees that he's not kind to his brother Tommy after taking his blanket and hitting him with a rattle before getting hit by it as well. Later, he didn't like the idea of the twins taking Dil back the hospital and saying Tommy's not going to be happy. During a ride on the Reptar Wagon, he was grossed out after Dil barfed on his shirt. After being lost in the forest, Chuckie briefly argues with him after a frog jump on his head when he tried to pee on him along with his friends. Despite all this, he does care Dil, and even tried to save him from being taken by monkeys.
Phil DeVille and Lil DeVille - Chuckie is good friends with the twins, but gets grossed out by things they say and do. And he may have a crush on Lil, as seen in "I Do". She may return it, as implied in "The Finster Who Stole Christmas".
Susie Carmichael - Chuckie and Susie are very good friends. It is hinted that the pair may possibly, though not confirmed, like each other, as Chuckie asked Susie to be his date in "Junior Prom" and she accepted, while in "It's Cupid, Stupid", Susie asks Chuckie to go to the Valentine's Day dance with her, and he agrees to it.
Nicole Boscarelli - Nicole is Chuckie's love interest in All Grown Up! as seen in "Chuckie's in Love" and "It's Cupid, Stupid". When Nicole is around Chuckie's presence, he gets nervous and doesn't know how to act. They both enjoy the same smoothies and Nicole likes an individual who is sweet-hearted and truthful. Ever since the Chongo incident, both Chuckie and Nicole have talked to each other on several occasions and even danced with each other in the gymnasium for Valentine's Day.
- He is possibly allergic to meatballs as shown in "Changes for Chuckie".
- Out of all the main Rugrats, Chuckie has the most episodes centered around him.
- Chuckie's character design was originally intended to be used for a bully, and was based on one of the main music composers for the series, Mark Mothersbaugh.
- Kira legally adopts Chuckie as her son in "Finsterella" and Chas legally adopts Kimi as his daughter. In a legal sense, that technically makes Chuckie and Kimi siblings and not just step-siblings.
- In Season 1 to early episodes of Season 2, Chuckie is shown with multiple teeth besides his trademark buckteeth. However, since "Showdown at Teeter-Totter Gulch", those multiple teeth were eliminated.
- 12 year old Chuckie kept his appearance in All Grown Up!.
- In "All Growed Up" (where 11-year-old Chuckie appeared), 12 year old Angelica introduces him to 12 year old Samantha Shane as "Charlie Finster III," even though his grandfather's name is Marvin.
- The Behind the Scenes featurette for Rugrats in Paris shows that Chuckie was originally going to sing "I Want a Mom" himself, but this idea was scrapped in favor of having the song performed by Cyndi Lauper.
- Chuckie was originally voiced by Christine Cavanaugh, who retired from voice acting in 2001 for personal reasons. Chuckie's voice was taken over by Nancy Cartwright following Cavanaugh's retirement, making Chuckie the only core character whose voice actor changed in the original series.
- As seen in the Season 4 episode "Radio Daze", Chuckie is shown to be ticklish on his feet.
- It is unknown if Chuckie has any cousins. On his father's side, he doesn't because Chas is an only child, and Chuckie's grandparents always remark how Chuckie is their only grandchild, and happily cry when Chaz adopts Kimi since that means they have two grandchildren now.
- It is possible that Chuckie's birthday is either in late April or early May, if Tommy's birthday is in June. If Tommy's birthday is in August, Chuckie would be born around June 14. If Tommy's actual birthday is in June, since in All Grown Up!, Chuckie mentions that he is a year, 1 month, 3 weeks and 5 days older than Tommy which would make his birthday fall around late April or early May. Since Phil and Lil are 3 months older than Tommy and their birthday is March 31st along with the fact that Tommy was born 2 months premature, making Tommy's actual birthday in June but his real birthday is supposed to be in August, and according to what Chuckie said would make his birthday most likely fall in late April.
- In the All Grown Up! episode "Truth or Consequences", Chuckie has been seen as a 3-4 year old, and a 7-8 year old.
- Chuckie, in All Grown Up!, has freckles on his bottom, as briefly revealed in "What's Love Got To Do With It?".
- Chuckie is allergic to dandelions like his father, but not cats.
- Angelica calls him by his last name sometimes, starting in Season 3.
- Being the oldest member of the four babies, Chuckie was frequently the focus of growth-based episodes. As such, he was the first to be potty-trained, and was the first to physically speak to the adults.
- His first word heard by the grown-ups was "no", as was shown in Rugrats in Paris: The Movie.
- Apparently, because of Chuckie's nose always being congested and stuffed up, because of allergies, he doesn't know what Phil and Lil smell like, except in the episode "The Smell of Success", when he had his nose unstuffed and actually could detect the stinky smell coming from the twins.
- After watching Captain Blasto, he takes a nap.
- Chuckie is terrified of clowns like Didi Pickles.
- In "Dude, Where's My Horse?", it's revealed that Chuckie can play the harmonica, although he never says how.
- Despite being one of the oldest members of the group, Chuckie has never had his first kiss.
- He may have a crush on Lil, as seen in "I Do".
- Chuckie is revealed to be very good at sewing as seen in "TP+KF", where he makes a two-headed dragon costume (for him and Tommy) on his own.
- It is revealed that Chuckie is great at climbing, as seen in "Interview With a Campfire".
- Chuckie is shown to be very protective of his sister Kimi, as it has been shown in a lot of episodes in both Rugrats and All Grown Up!.
- According to Chuckie in "Super Hero Worship",he started to read when he was five years old.
- Chuckie's favorite superhero is Armadillo Dave.
- He relates to him because Armadillo Dave is also slow, klutzy, and near-sighted.
- In "TP+KF", Chuckie reveals he wet his bed until he was 7 years old to Tommy.
- In "Bad Blood", Chuckie suffers from a skin condition known as psoriasis.
- Tommy sometimes calls Chuckie, Chuckaroo in Rugrats, while Betty calls him Chuckster, as do the others later in All Grown Up!.
- Chuckie appears to be very ticklish as shown in "Radio Daze" when Phil tickles his foot to get him to spill the beans on where the malted milk balls are.
- In the Latin-American dub, he is called Carlitos, with his surname being changed to Baldosa in the earlier seasons.
- Chuckie is prone to seasickness in "Sand Ho!" and in the movie, yet seems to have no problems being on a boat in "In the Naval".
- Chuckie is similar to Milhouse Van Houten from The Simpsons, Klasky Csupo's previous project.