|This article is a stub! You can help Tommy and the others by expanding it!|
|Season 6 Episode 1a|
|Original Airdate||January 4, 1999 (Canada)|
January 18, 1999 (US)
|DVD release||Season 6|
|Previous Episode||The Family Tree|
|Next Episode||A Dog's Life|
- Dil (first appearance in an episode)
- Herbert (debut/only appearance)
- Herbert's unnamed mother
- Conan Mcnulty (cameo and mentioned)
Chuckie finds a duck egg and helps it to hatch. The duckling that comes out, who he names Hubert, adopts Chuckie as his big brother and follows him everywhere. But is Chuckie ready for the big responsibility? - Description from Klasky Csupo
A baby duck hatched in Tommy's backyard, and the first thing it sees is Chuckie. Chuckie adopts the duck, which he calls "Herbert". At first, caring for Herbert was exciting, but when the novelty wears out, it becomes a chore when he begins to realize the responsibilities of actually being an older brother. Meanwhile, Betty and her environmental group protest at a condo site that left the baby duck's mother without a home, while Grandpa tries to win at checkers.
In the end, Betty and the protestors win out, and Herbert's reunited with his mother and siblings. Chuckie's happy for Herbert, and realizes that, despite all the responsibilities of being an older sibling, he's going to miss having Herbert around.
The episode ends with Chuckie returning Dil's rattle to him after he throws it, and Grandpa chasing McNulty after finding out that the tournament is for Backgammon instead of checkers.
- This is the first episode to use digital cel and background animation.
- It is the first appearance of Dil in the series after the first film.
- Chuckie does indeed become a brother through Kimi as of Rugrats in Paris: The Movie.
- Animation error: when Betty appears with babies bring your classic shirt, but when loose brings another.