|Elizabeth "Betty" DeVille|
|Also Known As||Betty DeVille|
|Birth Date||March 21, 1959 (Rugrats 1991)|
March 21, 1989 (Rugrats 2021)
|Age||32 (Rugrats; both original and revived versions) |
41 (All Growed Up)
42 (All Grown Up!)
|Occupation||Operator at the Java Lava Coffee House (1991)
Betty's Beans Owner (2021)
|Interests||Sports, Reptar, coffee, Football (2021)|
|Relatives||Howard (husband; original only)|
Frederick (older brother)
|Friends||Didi Pickles (best friend)|
ex-girlfriend who scares her
|Voice Actor||Kath Soucie (original)|
Natalie Morales (revival)
|First Appearance||"Tommy's First Birthday" (Rugrats, 1991)|
Elizabeth "Betty" Giselle-DeVille (born March 21, 1959) is Phil and Lil's mother and also the wife of Howard. She is very nice, but also tends to speak boisterously and in a strong voice. Though outwardly opposites, she and Didi are very good friends. She comes off as a tough and energetic woman, always giving a friendly-but-painful back slap, and fawns over her twins. She loves a good cup of coffee and is always quick with a witty comment. She loves sports (as she used to be a pro-wrestler) and always wears a blue headband. She was original voiced by Kath Soucie, who also voices Betty's twins, Phil and Lil, as well as supporting characters like Belinda. In the 2021 reboot, Betty is now voiced by Natalie Morales.
Betty is loud, energetic, tough, and athletic, but friendly and likable; a foil to her husband Howard, who is more quiet and soft spoken.
Betty considers herself a feminist, and wears a purple sweater with the symbol for "female" on it. Her big brother, Freddie, wears a shirt identical to hers but with the male symbol, instead. In All Grown Up!, she works with Chas at the Java Lava Coffee House, and also helps Principal Pangborn with the school's soccer team, which Phil and Lil are on.
Despite their personality differences, Betty deeply loves Howard and their children. Betty met Howard when she was in third grade in 1967. She used to poke him with her index finger because she was too shy to admit that she liked him. Many years later, Howard and Betty started dating and married in 1987, right after Stu and Didi's wedding, and they renewed their vows in 2001 in "Runaround Susie".
In this remake she is also raising her twins as a single parent, and is implied to be LGBTQ due to her mention of having an "ex-girlfriend" in the premiere. Her new actress Natalie Morales commented "anyone who watched the original show may have had an inkling Betty was a member of the alphabet mafia" referencing this, leading some to describe this as Betty being "gay", such as Tatiana Tenreyro of AV Club.
Her coffee house is now known as Betty's Beans and serves a variety of coffees and pastries. She encourages customers to take photos of her creations and tag them on social media.
Betty has peach skin, brown hair and pink lips. She wears green earrings, a purple-and-orange shirt with the female symbol on it, blue jeans (Some episodes she wears blue track pants with dark blue side stripes instead), orange socks, blue and green sneakers and a blue headband. She has a very large build.
In All Grown Up!, she keeps her headband and wears a sea green blouse, purple stirrup pants, a gold bracelet, and blue and white sneakers.
In the 2021 series, her look is similar to her original design, but with the following differences: Her collar is navy instead of peach, a peach female symbol on the middle of her shirt is replaced with a golden Gemini symbol, her bracelets were replaced with only one watch on one of her wrists, her blue clothes are darker, her socks are shorter and colored white, and her shoes are colored differently. The rest of her shirt is also a bit different from the original.
Betty has appeared in many episodes of Rugrats and All Grown Up!. Her first appearance was in "Tommy's First Birthday". She goes on to make even more recurring appearances in the spin-off series All Grown Up!, running the coffee house with Chas.
- In the episode "Mother's Day", it is revealed that she used to breastfeed Phil and Lil when they were under a year old, though, being that it aired on Nick, it could not explicitly be shown (i.e. her shirt wasn't lifted) nor directly referenced verbally. Lil describes it as "when mommy fed us the old way".
- In the All Grown Up! episode "TP+KF", she is shown to be a Halloween prankster, and disapproves of not having fun.
- Betty was born in 1959, but she's older than Didi by nine months.
- Betty drives a blue 2-door 4x4 SUV in later episodes (after Rugrats in Paris: The Movie; seen in "A Rugrats Kwanzaa") and continues to drive this vehicle in All Grown Up!. It is a generic but has styling cues from a 1986-1991 Chevrolet K5 Blazer, a 1986-1990 Chevrolet S-10 Blazer, a 1987-1991 Ford Bronco, and a 1991-1993 Dodge Ramcharger. In All Grown Up!, it resembles a 1969-1972 Chevrolet K5 Blazer, but has modern features like an alarm system.
- According to her daughter in "Rat Traps", "Lil" was the only name besides "Bill" or "Jill" that Betty could think of that rhymed with "Phil."
- Betty regularly helps Chas at the Java Lava.
- She is the assistant coach for the Jim Jr. Junior High soccer team.
- According to "Angelica's In Love", Betty and her husband Howard first met when she was in third grade. She used to prod Howard with her index finger in their classroom, and it took him abut 20 years for him to realize that she always loved him but didn't have the guts to say it. (Since Howard was born in 1958 and Betty in 1959, this implies that Howard was held back once, assuming that their classroom was not a third-and-fourth-grade classroom).
- In "Chicken Pops", Betty reveals that, when she was a child, her mother exposed her and the rest of her family to all kinds of diseases.
- Betty is one of the few parents that hasn't been seen as a child alongside Howard and Kira.
- The Unfair Pair is the only episode where she along with Howard and her kids Phil and Lil appears without Tommy.
- The only incarnation of the franchise where she doesn't appear is Rugrats Pre-School Daze.